Lesbian and Gay Child Care Task Force Needs Assessment
for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Families
Informal and Formal Child Care
Provider Interview and Group Interview
Introduce yourself and project. Thank care provider(s) for willingness to participate.
- To introduce me to your child care setting, please think of a "really good" day-a day when you felt particularly pleased and satisfied with the work you do. Tell me the story of that day.
(In conversation about the story, ask questions as necessary to include number of staff and number of children and their ages in your recording of the story.)
- What made this "good day" so memorable?
- Think of a time when you felt a rewarding sense of working in partnership with a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender parent in support of their child's development. Tell me about that time.
- What did you or others do that gave you that sense of partnership?
- Think of a time when you felt especially proud of your child care services, center, teacher and/or staff-when you felt pleased and grateful to be associated with them. Tell me the story.
- What happened that led you to feel such pride?
- Tell me about the people involved.
- What was present in the people or setting that help create that moment of pride?
- Tell me about a time when a child or children in your care had an exciting discovery, learning moment or story to tell you about diversity or honoring differences.
- What happened?
- What factors helped lead to this learning moment?
- Tell me about a time when you had an experience with or learned something about lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender families that helped you feel more connected with their children.
- What happened?
- How has this sense of connection helped you in your work?
- If you could wave a magic wand and change three things about your experience with child care that can significantly heighten the quality of child care and learning atmosphere for children of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender parents, what would they be?
< Back ~ Contents page ~ Safe Schools home ~ Next >