This page was last updated on 03/15/12. If you know of errors please click here to let us know.
Count Me In: A Toolkit for Building LGBTQ-Inclusive Schools … new 300-page safe schools toolkit released by Ally Action!!!!! It refers to U.S. (federal) and California law, but parts of it will be VERY useful to people everywhere!
Beth Reis of Safe Schools Coalition writes: It is absolutely THE BEST TOOL for LGBTQ-safe/inclusive schools work I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS!
- I especially like the "Legal Perspective for Administrators" section.
- And the model policy for Accommodating the Needs of Transgender and Gender Non-Conforming Students and the AWESOME model Harassment/Discrimination Incident Report form!
- I love the tool for assessing your districts LGBTQ "compliance" and while many states and countries won't have equivalent laws with which schools should comply, students and other activists everywhere will find the tool useful as a way to determine your priorities as a change agent.
- I am awed by the LGBT Inclusion by Design section!!!
- I am thrilled with the Intervention tool.
- And wait 'til you see the "What to Say When" Guide.
- And the How Do I File a Complaint?" page!
Download it free, here: http://www.allyaction.org/s/341/allyaction.aspx?sid=341&gid=1&pgid=1165
Safe Space Kit - from GLSEN, the Gay, Lesbian Straight Education Network. Designed to help educators create a safe space for LGBT youth in schools, the Safe Space Kit features the Guide to Being an Ally to LGBT Students. This guide complete with posters, stickers and reproducible handouts provides concrete strategies for supporting LGBT students, educating about anti-LGBT bias and advocating for changes in your school. http://www.glsen.org/cgi-bin/iowa/educator/library/record/1641.html
What is a Safe Zone? This FAQ page from the National Consortium of Directors of LGBT Resources in Higher Education will be helpful for K-12 staff, as well: http://www.lgbtcampus.org/old_faq/safe_zone.html
home ~ site map ~ resources by topic
DHTML Menu by Milonic